Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Foundation Done!

The foundation struts are done…all supports are 4.5" x 7.5". They are nailed and screwed together, the base strut is bolted to the frame, and the finished foundation is bolted through the frame in 8 places on both ends with 3/8" galvanized carriage bolts. Drilling the frame took forever, but I think the structural benefits will be worth it. Additionally, the outside foundation struts are bolted to the side lip in 4 places. The floor frame is assembled, and aluminum flashing installed on the underside. Next I will be attaching the floor frame to the foundation struts. It will be lag bolted throughout, as well as bolted all the way through with carriage bolts in 4 places. Also, the frame will be secured periodically to the foundation with hurricane clips. Then, it will be time to insulate and lay the floor. On a side note, measure the head space in your vehicle very carefully if you're going to be using it to move rigid insulation panels. I failed to take into account the slope of the Yukon's walls, and ended up spending 30 minutes in the Home Depot parking lot wrestling all the insulation panels into the vehicle. Plenty of folks got a show and no doubt wondered what kind of idiot I was.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, I echo an earlier statement: I wish I lived closer, this looks like an extremely fun project. I agree that the few(ha, ha) extra minutes it took to drill through the frame will benefit the structural integrity. Awesome job so far and I look forward to seeing the progress.

    ReplyDelete